Hoshin Kanri for the Lean Enterprise is a book about how to develop your organization to become a community of scientific problem solvers, with the agility demanded by our dynamic and uncertain times. It systematically addresses the five phases of the hoshin cycle, including
- Scan the competitive environment with the classic tools of strategic planning.
- Scan your organization’s unique strengths and weaknesses with value stream maps and the President’s Diagnosis.
- Establish “True North” by creating a mid-term strategy or balanced scorecard of improvement drivers.
- Operationalize your strategy by creating an annual “hoshin” or 12-month action plan.
- Play “catchball” to improve your knowledge of operational realities and confirm that your managers understand your strategic intent.
- Manage your A3 projects flawlessly.
- Engage the workforce with better training and coaching.
- Improve execution and course correction through visual management.
- Reflect deeply on battles won and lost with a visual approach to advanced problem solving.
The book is distinguished not only for its comprehensive treatment of the hoshin cycle, but also for its inclusion of:
- Toyota’s standard A3 reports, plus
- the A3-X or X-matrix
- value stream mapping
- value stream P&Ls
- the President’s diagnosis and the Transformation Ruler
The book contains a complete manufacturing case study that demonstrates how to think about improvement, complete A3 forms and play catchball to confirm the “whats” and “hows” of strategy and execution.